Getting Your Instruction Permit
To be able to obtain an instruction permit you must be a minimum of 15 years old and be enrolled in a drivers education program.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW TO GET YOUR PERMIT
- Register on the Department of Licensing - License Express website.
- Print out the identification code that you receive at the end and either bring it in to our office or call us before your first week of class, at this point we will register you into the system and let the Department of Licensing know that you are ready to obtain your first permit.
- Visit the Department of Licensing office, making sure to take proof of ID (birth certificate, passport etc).
Please Note: If you do not bring the code to us before visiting the DOL, they will refuse to issue a permit as you will not have been registered in the system as attending a drivers education school. We must have a copy of the code before you visit the DOL.
Intermediate License Laws For Teen Drivers
Before applying for a license, a parent or guardian will need to certify that the applicant has completed 50 hours of supervised driving in which 10 were at night.
If you're under 18, you'll be issued an intermediate driver license and must follow these laws:
- Driving with Passengers
- First 6 months: No passengers under 20 years old, except for immediate family members (spouse, child, stepchild, or siblings, both by birth and marriage).
- Next 6 months: No more than 3 passengers under 20 years old who aren't members of your immediate family.
- Nighttime driving
For the first 12 months, you can't drive between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. unless you're with a licensed driver 25 years or older. The only exceptions are driving for agricultural purposes and transporting farm products or supplies under the direction of a farmer as described in RCW 46.20.070.
- No cell phones
You aren't permitted to use wireless devices while driving, even with a hands-free device. This includes talking on cell phones and sending or receiving text messages. You may only use a wireless device to report an emergency.
The Intermediate license becomes a basic driver license at the age of 18.